Lagos Central Mosque
The Lagos Central Mosque was built in 1841, on what was Victoria Street, but now known as Nnamdi Azikiwe Street. The mosque, with four minarets, used to be the National Mosque of Nigeria until the capital city was moved to Abuja. The original mosque building was demolished to make way for a more modern building, which was completed in 1985.
The Shitta-Bey family financed the building of the mosque and the opening ceremony was attended by the then Governor of Lagos, Sir Gilbert Carter and a representative of the Bey of Constantinople, a chieftain of the Ottoman Empire.